Workshops for Small Businesses
Friday August 28
Seeking Validation: A Look at Various Green Business Certifications
Most businesses get certified because they want to align their business with their values. The certification framework and process helps them to make sure that they are doing all they can to reduce their environmental impact. There are many benefits to certification including validation, continuous improvement, authentic marketing, a proven framework and belonging to a community. This workshop will review a number of certifications that are available and provide resources to help businesses prepare and choose the right one for them. We will also cover some local recognition programs that are a good first step.
- Overview of “green/sustainable business” certifications
- Product and industry specific certifications
- Preparing for certification
- Benefits of certification
- Local awards and recognition
- A look at a variety of the recognized Green/Sustainable Business Certifications available and understanding the differences
- Overview of product specific or industry specific certifications and recognitions and understanding what they mean (i.e. LEED, Green Seal, USDA Organic, Fair Trade, FSC)
- Small steps – how to position your business now for certification, even if the ultimate goal is further down the road.
- The ROI – Weighing the benefits against the cost and time
- Alternatives to certification – recognition and membership programs
This workshop is the penultimate in a series of eight sustainable business workshops. Our final workshop on September 18th will focus on the green economy We will present an overview of some of the latest “green” start-ups and provide resources for entrepreneurs who not only want to be sustainable with an existing business but who are interested in starting a venture that will help drive innovation for the planet.
Let's Set a Tree Planting Record!
Volunteer to Plant Trees
Let’s plant some trees. Make a donation to Carbon Offsets. Help us reduce Green House Gas emissions and make a significant impact to the Pine Flatwoods Ecosystem. Sign up to participate in the largest, single-day tree planting ever in Florida!
Tentatively scheduled for last week of July 2020, join us to set the record as the largest, single-day tree planting in Florida!
Who We Are
The Sustany® Foundation is a nonprofit organization that promotes sustainability on a local level and supports innovative community programs that preserve our unique environment, improve human health, foster collaborative learning, and promote economic prosperity in Tampa Bay.
Sustany® facilitates the exchange of ideas and resources to individuals and organizations committed to economic, environmental, and social responsibility. Sustany® is proud to maximize its impact by supporting mini-grants to fund innovative projects that promote sustainability in Tampa Bay.
Become A Member
As a Member of Sustany®, you become part of a family of people committed to promoting sustainability and all of its facets, enhancing our way of life in Tampa Bay now and into the future. Your fully tax-deductible gift provides essential resources for Sustany®’s programs.
The Latest From Our Blog
Patch reports: Last night was the Sustainable Buzz event at the David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts. The event drew a crowd