Letter from the Executive Director
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Sustany® Foundation.
We are incredibly fortunate to live in an area surrounded by vibrant wildlife and natural resources. Our close proximity means our actions have an immediate and direct impact on these natural assets and that the health of these assets also has a direct and immediate impact on our quality of life.
We are also fortunate to be living in an area that is seeing unprecedented growth and leading the national rankings in almost every category. Much of our region’s economy depends on protecting our unique environment.
At Sustany®, we believe that environmental stewardship and economic growth do not need to be at odds with one another. In fact, recent studies have proven that companies and communities that have woven sustainability and social responsibility into their day-to-day practices are more competitive, more profitable and more sustainable (if you’ll pardon the pun).
But what is sustainability? In the simplest of terms, it is taking the long-term view of how our actions today affect future generations and our natural resources. A sustainable community is a place where people want to live and work, now and in the future. A sustainable business uses the triple bottom line of people, planet and profit to help inform and drive decisions. The new “consumers” are smart and they are choosing companies and communities that are acting in socially responsible ways.
We already have so much to be proud of in our region with initiatives from St. Petersburg to downtown Tampa making headlines. We want to celebrate these successes, tell these stories and set the example. We want to recognize businesses that are doing “good” while doing well. We also have many opportunities to do better. Whether it is supporting a community garden, educating consumers or conducting a comprehensive business assessment, we want everyone to have the tools and resources needed to become more sustainable.
We invite you to join us in the vision of Tampa Bay as one of the greatest sustainable communities of the future with our residents, businesses and public organizations leading the way in innovative and sustainable practices. Let’s get started.
– Lorrie Belovich, Executive Director, The Sustany® Foundation
[button url=”https://sustany.org/become-a-member/” color=”” customcolor=”#4c642d” iconcolor=”white” icon=”none” target=”_blank” custom_class=”large-yellow-button”]Join Us[/button]
The mission of the Sustany® Foundation is to enhance the quality of life of the Tampa Bay community by promoting sustainability.
Founded in 2007, Sustany® supports sustainability through education and programs which advance economic prosperity, environmental stewardship, and social responsibility. We strive to be the leading facilitator of sustainability in our community through efficient and effective aggregation and investment of resources for Tampa Bay’s citizens today and into the future. We are a catalyst for innovative community projects that preserve Tampa Bay’s unique environmental attributes, improve human health, conserve natural resources, foster collaborative learning opportunities, and promote economic prosperity. We partner with existing organizations whenever possible to leverage resources and avoid duplication of effort.
- Promote a culture focused on who we are rather than what we have.
- Discourage sprawl and support high density urban development – leave the rural spaces rural.
- Promote market solutions to problems associated with population growth, including planned, environmentally sensitive development.
- Promote the cradle to cradle design paradigm and the use of natural, sustainable materials.
- Reuse, reduce (consumption) and recycle.
- Conserve resources and reduce waste.
- Support organic foods and products. Reduce economic dependence on petroleum and support the development of clean alternative energy sources.
- Promote initiatives to decrease human impact on the climate.
- Be stewards of the earth and recognize our place in nature.
The Sustany® Foundation as a Catalyst for Sustainability
In addition to Sustany®’s programs and events, the organization facilitates the exchange of ideas and resources related to its mission. Sustany® serves as a gathering place and resource pool for people interested in advancing sustainability in Tampa Bay. Individuals are encouraged to support Sustany® through contributions of a variety of resources (ideas, information, time and financial assistance). Resources provided by Sustany® may include suggestions, introductions, research assistance, volunteers, financial assistance, etc. for projects that fit within Sustany®’s mission and policy aims.
Sustany® provides a bridge between our supporters and outside organizations with complementary missions through joint events and speaking opportunities.
Sustany® Foundation Milestones
- Launched the Sustany® Sustainable Business program with 11 university interns and 10 downtown businesses in collaboration with the Tampa Downtown Partnership
- Sustany® and Nature’s Academy receive Lightning Community Hero grant in recognition of Dana Pounds
- Sustany® Conference: Climate Change at Stetson University
- ‘Clean City Day’ Gold Sponsor, GSA collaborated with Clean City Division for a waterfront clean-up project
- Gold sponsor for Earth Day Festival and Eco Expo, a business-oriented expo featuring sustainable building materials and products.
- USGBC Seminar Sponsor for annual green building seminar
- Created the Annual Sustainable Buzz event to celebrate the best of our quality of life in Tampa Bay
- The Sustany® Foundation is incorporated as a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit