The mission of the Sustany® Foundation is to enhance the quality of life of the Tampa Bay community by promoting sustainability.
Founded in 2007, Sustany® supports sustainability through education and programs which advance economic prosperity, environmental stewardship, and social responsibility. We strive to be the leading facilitator of sustainability in our community through efficient and effective aggregation and investment of resources for Tampa Bay’s citizens today and into the future. We are a catalyst for innovative community projects that preserve Tampa Bay’s unique environmental attributes, improve human health, conserve natural resources, foster collaborative learning opportunities, and promote economic prosperity. We partner with existing organizations whenever possible to leverage resources and avoid duplication of effort.
- Promote a culture focused on who we are rather than what we have.
- Discourage sprawl and support high density urban development – leave the rural spaces rural.
- Promote market solutions to problems associated with population growth, including planned, environmentally sensitive development.
- Promote the cradle to cradle design paradigm and the use of natural, sustainable materials.
- Reuse, reduce (consumption) and recycle.
- Conserve resources and reduce waste.
- Support organic foods and products. Reduce economic dependence on petroleum and support the development of clean alternative energy sources.
- Promote initiatives to decrease human impact on the climate.
- Be stewards of the earth and recognize our place in nature.
The Sustany® Foundation as a Catalyst for Sustainability
In addition to Sustany®’s programs and events, the organization facilitates the exchange of ideas and resources related to its mission. Sustany® serves as a gathering place and resource pool for people interested in advancing sustainability in Tampa Bay. Individuals are encouraged to support Sustany® through contributions of a variety of resources (ideas, information, time and financial assistance). Resources provided by Sustany® may include suggestions, introductions, research assistance, volunteers, financial assistance, etc. for projects that fit within Sustany®’s mission and policy aims.
Sustany® provides a bridge between our supporters and outside organizations with complementary missions through joint events and speaking opportunities.
Sustany® Foundation Board Members
Sustany® Foundation Milestones
- Launched the Sustany® Sustainable Business program with 11 university interns and 10 downtown businesses in collaboration with the Tampa Downtown Partnership
- Sustany® and Nature’s Academy receive Lightning Community Hero grant in recognition of Dana Pounds
- Sustany® Conference: Climate Change at Stetson University
- ‘Clean City Day’ Gold Sponsor, GSA collaborated with Clean City Division for a waterfront clean-up project
- Gold sponsor for Earth Day Festival and Eco Expo, a business-oriented expo featuring sustainable building materials and products.
- USGBC Seminar Sponsor for annual green building seminar
- Created the Annual Sustainable Buzz event to celebrate the best of our quality of life in Tampa Bay
- The Sustany® Foundation is incorporated as a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit