by Alison Lueders, Great Green Editing
The Wonders of Water
- Water is basic to life. Roughly 60% of your body is water, 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water, and humans die far more quickly from lack of water than from lack of food. The search for life on Mars continues because scientists found evidence of water (ice, actually). Otherwise, they were pretty certain they wouldn’t find life.
- Florida’s water situation has improved … for now. Florida offers just about every water feature there is – ocean, bay, lakes, rivers, streams, ponds, swamps and more. They are among our most powerful attractions. While we are lucky that Tropical Storm Debbie quenched Florida’s previously parched areas, much of the rest of the country is still experiencing drought conditions.
- This is not just any old drought. The scientists who monitor droughts use words like “extreme” and “exceptional” to describe what is going on. What’s happening in places like Texas and Oklahoma will affect us in many ways – from spikes in the prices of food and fuel, to the likelihood that crop failures here contribute to instability abroad.
- Use your water wisely. So as you bask away this month near the ocean, bay, lake, river, stream, pool or swamp, take a moment to be grateful. And use your water wisely.
What to do:
- Take shorter showers
- Fix leaky faucets, toilets and irrigation systems
- Use Florida plants that are drought tolerant
- Wash full loads of laundry